Monday, December 6, 2010

All of a sudden, I found myself thinking sociologically when I went to the after school workout for softball.  The first thing I realized was that the people I work out with is a secondary group.  We are all their to get stronger to we can be a better team.

The second thing I noticed was that the coaches use positive informal sanctions.  If they see you working hard they tell you that you're doing a good job and push you to work even harder.  Teammates also use informal positive sanctions when they give high fives and cheer for each other.

Third, I realized that the players who make the team in the spring are receiving a positive formal sanction because they are being specifically rewarded for being a hard working player by be given a spot on the team.

1 comment:

  1. Nice application of group terms to your softball team (hope you have a great season if you're putting in all this work already!) :)

    ReplyDelete