Thursday, September 16, 2010

"Numbers, letters, learn to spell."♪♫

All of a sudden, I found myself thinking about sociology when I overheard some kids talking about wanting to smoke some "pot" after school.  This caused me to think about the Sapir Whorf Hypothesis which states that the more important something is to a culture, the more words there will be to describe that thing.

I began thinking about all the words that mean the same thing as marijuana: pot, weed, ganja, kronic, cannabis, buddha, herb, green, mary jane, skunk, grass, bobby brown, 30s, swag, dro, hash, kush, dope, super greens, dank, broccoli, nuggets, hemp, reefer, resin, shake, kill.  Seeing as how there are many more terms not included here, I have come to the conclusion that marijuana is very important in American culture. It's actually pretty sad how important it seems to be.

I decided to ask my friends for some synonyms for volunteer and donate.  They were only able to come up with about two words off the top of their head.  However, when I asked them for synonyms for marijuana, they came up with a significantly longer list. And these are people who haven't smoked marijuana a single time in their life; the topic is so prevalent in our society that even people with anti-drug beliefs know multiple words to describe it.  The Sapir Whorf Hypothesis would say, based on our language, that marijuana is more important to Americans than volunteering and donating to the less fortunate. That's just sad.

3 comments:

  1. LIKE
    this is so true Jenny!
    lets you and me get America on the right track again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LIKE
    ahhh this is so true...and so very sad :'(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha.....this is funny, and so very sad. You write very well. Great application of the S-W Hypothesis!

    ReplyDelete